The Sacramento Bee is proud to offer students an opportunity to participate in the California Central Valley Spelling Bee. The champion wins an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. The spelling bee is open to students in grades 3-8 who attend school in Colusa, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, Solano, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba counties.
There are three levels of competition in the California Central Valley Spelling Bee. The first level happens at your school. A spelling bee coordinator (usually a teacher, parent or community volunteer) at your school has the very important job of finding the school's top speller. Many schools conduct their own school-wide spelling bees.
The best speller from each school advances to the next round, which is a written test conducted by The Sacramento Bee. Only one speller from each school may attend. Usually 150-200 students participate in the written spelling bee. The 50-60 best spellers will be invited to the oral spelling bee.
The third level of competition is the regional oral spelling bee. This happens every year in March at the Scottish Rite Center in Sacramento. The general public is invited to attend. The winner of the oral spelling bee will represent the Central Valley region at the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C., expenses paid by Shriners Hospitals for Children. The national spelling bee is an event that takes almost an entire week in late May or early June.
There is an enrollment fee for each school. Your school will receive study words for students, pronouncer guides, rules, certificates and more. Click the red link below to learn more and complete the order form.
- Mid-August 2013 -- Enrollment begins at the official spelling bee website.
- October 15, 2013 -- Deadline for prime enrollment. Late fee assessed after October 15.
- December 2013 -- Deadline for schools to submit the biography form with name, address and details of the school winner.
- January 2014 -- Written spelling bee will be given to all school winners.
- March 2014 -- California Central Valley Spelling Bee (the oral competition), Scottish Rite Center, 6151 H Street, Sacramento, CA, the event begins at 9:30 AM
Adult Education   |
Educational Subscription   |   e-Edition Login   |   Community   |   Contact M.I.E.